Responsible for performing work of routine difficulty in the enforcement of water safety and aquatics center regulations. Work is performed under the immediate supervision of the Crew Chief and Facility Aquatics Coordinator. Work involves swim safety instruction, enforcement of aquatic center rules and regulations, Becker Pavilion at Campus Lake rentals and supervision, special event staffing. Work is reviewed for conformance to generally accepted standards for aquatic center operations, and for compliance with the established policies of RSS Aquatics.
- Enforces aquatics center safety rules and regulations by monitoring water and deck areas to ensure a safe swimming experience for the public.
- Prevents injuries and minimizes hazardous situations.
- Responds to al injuries, accidents and emergency situations as they arise.
- Conducts swim tests for pool patrons, as needed, before they are allowed to go into deep water.
- Assists in the preparation of Becker Pavilion for opening and closing by setting up the staffing office, boats, and other equipment.
- By volunteer basis, staffing of facility Learn to Swim programs including Youth Swim Lessons, Adult Swim Lessons, and Private Swim Lessons.
- Interprets policies and procedures to the public, on site or by telephone.
- Attends mandatory staff meeting and training sessions to enhance job performance.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Education and Experience Required
Completion and maintenance of formal lifeguard training and certification by the American Red Cross or Ellis Lifeguarding (Red Cross training within 6 months of hire).
- Education and Experience Preferred
Completion and maintenance of formal swim instructor training and certification (Water Safety Instructor) and Lifeguard Instructor Training (LGI) by the American Red Cross.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITY:
- Knowledge of swim center rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of standard water safety and lifesaving principles.
- Knowledge of first aid principles and practices.
- Considerable skill as a swimmer. Swim up to 500 yards continuously.
- Ability to communicate effectively in interpreting policies and procedures.
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Mental and Physical Demands described are representative of those that must be met by and employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these demands.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed by uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. Must be able to see, speak and hear. Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The indoor environment provides for a safe and healthy work environment and is smoke and drug free. Occasionally, it may be wet and humid, as well as moderately loud. Exposure to Chlorinated water, sun, outdoor conditions, as well as general cleaning supplies. Adequate protective equipment will be available.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate pool equipment.
- Visual, hearing and speaking skills to coach and communicate effectively with staff and patrons.
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time.