The safety of our students, patrons, and team members is what is most important to us. The SIU Rec has always been dedicated to providing a healthy way of life to the Saluki community, and with a carefully planned and phased approach, we will begin to reopen. Each of us will play an important role in making the Rec a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.
In accordance with SIU, Illinois, CDC, IDPH guidelines we are taking extra precautions to help our patrons and staff stay safe and healthy. This includes extensive cleaning protocols, enhanced procedures, and social distancing practices within our facility. Patrons will be asked to follow signs and floor decals located throughout the facility to ensure the safety of all. You will notice increased spacing between the equipment and within workout areas to allow for appropriate social distancing.
Below you will find guidelines to assist you and our staff to make the Rec a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone. If you have a specific concern or you need help locating hand sanitizer stations, please see any Rec Center team member. You can also e-mail us with additional questions or concerns.
According to the CDC guidelines, older adults, 65 years and older, or who are at higher risk for severe illness should take additional safety precautions.
All information and guidelines herein are subject to change.
Updated February 2, 2021
Must be an active student or a current member to enter the facility.
- Self card swipe – Members can swipe their own cards at the Reception Desk. Employees at the Reception Desk will observe the system function to determine access approval.
- Touchless entry/exit – all patrons will enter through an accessible entry gate that will be open.
- During this semester, for health and safety purposes, no children under 16 will be permitted to enter the facility for general recreation.
Guest Code of Conduct
- Face masks are required at ALL TIMES when using the Student Recreation Center facilities, even while exercising. Masks are required on the pool deck; however, you may remove your mask upon entry to the water. When you exit the water, you must put your mask back on. If you are not wearing a mask you will be asked to leave.
- Personal use hand towels will be available at the reception desk – Wipe down all equipment you touch before and after use.
- Lifting to be done in a safe/weight-appropriate manner as to NOT require a "spotter"
- All users must maintain 10’ social distance while working out
- Adherence to all designated room max capacity signage.
- Masks are required
- Staff will be screened and enter through the Student Health Center, after attesting to health questions and getting their temperature checked
- Must maintain 6’ social distance with co-workers and patrons in the facility
- Gloves are required when cleaning equipment
- Staff will enforce guest code of conduct
- Adherence to all designated room max capacity
- Spring Students paying General Rec Fees off-campus will need to purchase a Spring Rec membership to get into the Rec, as those fees do not cover the Rec Center fees.
- Spring students who are paying General Rec Fees on-campus do not need to pay for a Spring Rec membership, as it is included in your on-campus student fees.
- To find out which category you are (on campus or off campus) you can check your Bursar bill under Charges.
- Any further questions regarding this, please contact the Bursar’s office.
Indoor Facility and Services availability during COVID-19:
|Base Camp Rentals||Yes||Reservations only.|
|Basketball Courts 1 & 2 (Turf)||Yes||Drop-in use when NOT reserved.|
|Basketball Court 3||Yes||Pickleball (3 nets). Must bring own equipment. Court may be closed for scheduled programming.|
|Basketball Court 4||Yes||Max 5 people per hoop. NO CONTACT PLAY! NO COMPETITIVE PLAY! Must bring own basketball. Court may be closed for scheduled Group Fitness Classes.|
|Basketball Court 5||Yes||Weight training area available.|
|Basketball Court 6||Yes||Badminton (2 nets) except when reserved. Volleyball (4 vs 4 MAX). No Contact. Masks must be worn at all times.|
|Cardio Studio||Yes||Every other machine closed on a rotation to maintain social distancing. Safe/weight-appropriate manner as to NOT require a spotter.|
|Central Fitness Studio||Yes|
|Courtside Fitness Studio||Yes||Max 3 people. Weight training. Safe/weight-appropriate manner as to NOT require a spotter.|
|Day Use Lockers||No|
|Equipment Check out||No|
|Group Fitness Studio||Yes||Limited.|
|Martial Arts Studio||Yes||Reservations only.|
|Multi-purpose Court 7||Yes||Drop-in use when NOT reserved.|
|Personal Fitness Studio||Yes|
|Racquetball Courts||Yes||Max 2 players per court with mask ON at all times.|
|Pool (Natatorium)||Yes||Please see pool guidelines.|
|Towel Service||No||Personal use hand towels provided at Front Desk.|
|Track (Lower)||Yes||Drop-in use when NOT reserved.|
|Water: Drinking Fountains||No||Bring your own water bottle.|
|Water: Touchless bottle filler stations||Yes||Bring your own water bottle for frequent fill-ups.|