SIU Carbondale, member of the SIU System, is an anti-racist community that opposes racism, discrimination and inequity in any form, and embraces diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice for all people.
Southern Illinois University is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any person or group of persons based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation including gender identity, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, or veteran's status is specifically prohibited in the Southern Illinois University community. For more information about Southern Illinois University Carbondale affirmative action policies and procedures, please click here.
Recreational Sports and Services (RSS) is pleased to offer internship opportunities for SIU Carbondale students. Interested students can gain valuable practical experience in the following areas:
- Aquatic Facility Management & Programming
- Business Office (Accounting & Bookkeeping)
- Competitive Sports (Intramural Sports & Sport Clubs)
- Facility Management & Operations (RSS Indoor and Outdoor Facilities)
- Information Technology (IT)
- Member Services
We strive to create a unique experience for each intern, and we encourage interns to apply for their areas of interest. Interns may be asked to assist in other areas as needed. Interns are valued members of our staff and are encouraged to participate in professional development opportunities (e.g., conferences, training seminars etc.).
- RSS will support a maximum of two (2) internships per semester.
- While all RSS internships are limited to one semester (Fall, Spring or Summer), a student may serve multiple semesters.
- Semester Timelines:
- Fall: August/September – December
- Spring: January – May
- Summer: May/June - August
- During the interview process, The student and RSS professional staff will determine weekly hours.
- The student is responsible for monitoring the fulfillment of academic internship or practicum hour requirements.
- Semester Timelines:
- All RSS internships are unpaid.
- Outside of internship hours, students are welcome to apply for RSS employment or other opportunities at SIU or in the community.
- Limited financial support may be available to support attendance at professional conferences, workshops, and seminars.
- RSS interns may receive RSS apparel.
Interested students should complete the following application. RSS professional staff will contact all candidate via phone or Zoom for an initial interview.
- Fall: July 1st
- Spring: December 1st
- Summer: April 1st
If you have any questions, please contact Victor A. Martin, RSS Program Director.